6/08/2008

Floating Philosophers




Sanctuary was down last night so I decided to engage in a practice I learnt from Warren Ellis. Simply zoom the map to a distance where you can still read the region names, then look around for a name you find interesting. One of last night's stops was in Odyssey.

Far from being packed with Homeric warriors, Odyssey turned out to be an art space. A series of galleries, exhibits and installations dotted across a island sim. While wandering about I came across an amusing, possibly auspicious work that I just had to share. =)

The portly gentleman in these photos, chained down to prevent flights of postmodernist whimsy I presume, is the philosopher Jean Baudrillard. Baudrillard was one of the leading thinkers in the field of semiotics and had much to say on hyperreality and it's role in the modern world.

Significant that I should find this within hours of starting my blog, no?

1 comment:

Botgirl Questi said...

You're taking a very interesting direction. Can't wait to see what you pull out of that magic space bordering fact,truth and fiction. (And no, I wasn't being redundant.